St. John The Evangelist Parish – Twin Lakes, WI
The presence of God through the Catholic Church came to Twin Lakes in 1926 when priests
from Holy Name Parish in Wilmot began to visit Catholic families around Lakes Elizabeth and
Mary. In 1932 a mission Church of Holy Name was formally established and put under the
patronage of St. John the Evangelist. The number of registered Catholics in Twin Lakes at the
time totaled 35, but that number was rising. Summertime brought many temporary residents whowanted a place for Sunday worship. During the 1930s people gathered in the summer on the
grounds of Commodore Barry Resort to praise God with Mass in all sorts of weather conditions.The mission church of St. John the Evangelist became an established parish in June 1950.
Fr. Arthur Mattox, a former Episcopal priest, began his service to our faith community in July 2017. His ordination to the priesthood had just become official on June 23, 2017. This was his first pastoral assignment, and he worked under the guidance of Administrator Fr. Robert Weighner, pastor of St. Anne in Pleasant Prairie, WI. In 2018 Fr. Mattox then became our Administrator and still is assigned to our parishes today. Fr. Arthur and his wife Lydia live in the Twin Lakes area. They were happily welcomed into our faith community.